painfully slow loading of PCM@44100/1/20ms‏

Thanks for the idea.

I don't think it's a slow processor though-- it's an Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz-- well yeah, not the fastest available but it's a proper i686 architecture desktop processor. And it is a desktop computer with 1Gb of ram.

There's definitely something odd going on with ALSA though. I reinstalled Linux from scratch and set it up with a 1.3 version-- just like the first PC that works well but that doesn't help and it still has the same symptoms. I did find a workaround though:

if I launch pjsua with these settings:

--snd-clock-rate=8000 --snd-auto-close=0 --auto-answer=200 --log-level=6 --log-file=fname --playback-dev=5

(--playback-dev=5 can be a device number with anything between 1 and 8 but not the default -1 or 0)

then it seems to be working fine-- picks up the call immediately without waiting for the sound to initialize and it works. However I haven't got a clue at what sample rate does it play that sound now.

I must have installed something on the first PC that fixed the ALSA issue and made it work at 8kHz and it's obviously not present on the current one. I've been experimenting with all sorts of stuff prior PJSUA on the first PC-- libjingle, tapioca, pidgin, ekiga, freeswitch, asterisk, Ice, farsight, mumble, telepathy and qt. God only knows now which of those installed a codec (or sorted out ALSA somehow) that made it work on the first PC.

Archie