convert the libraries form .a to .so

hi
? i am trying to embed pjsip in the micrcontroller at91sam9263 using openembedded and base-image as a image, i was able to port the pjsip into the rootfs file, but the libraries are of extension .a and not .so so it occupies a lot of space. Can you please tell me how i can convert a .a library to ..so, i tried extracting it and then compiling it to .so, it did not work, can anyone tell me if there is some change in the make file or the so file that can be done so i get the libraries in the .so format, when i run configure and compile?
with regrads
arul

      See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz. http://in.buzz.yahoo.com/