music on hold server using pre-encoded audio

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Andrew Radke <andrew.radke at yuruga.com.au>wrote:

> On a more serious note, pjmedia as a media library works mostly with PCM
> frames and not encoded frames, for obvious reason. The RTP streaming is done
> only at the edge of the processing where the frames are sent/received
> to/from the transport/network, and this is done by an object called stream
> (stream.c), where it does the conversion between PCM frames and RTP packets.
> This includes encoding/decoding the audio, managing the RTP/RTCP session,
> and de-jitter-buffering on the RX side.
>

> Since this is only a transmitted stream could the de-jitter-buffering be
> ignored or is there something that needs to be done with regards to this on
> outbound traffic as well?

Yeah, you don't need the jitter buffer then.

> Also, is there much that needs to be done to take the encoded data and
> convert into RTP packets? I assumed just a header or the like but I have no
> real knowledge of RTP just very rusty SIP.

Have a look at siprtp.c sample for a starting point. Currently it only put
PCMU in SDP, and it generates a silent PCMU frames in the outgoing RTP
packets. I think it shouldn't be too difficult to modify it to send g.729
instead in the SDP, and to generate the frame by reading from (encoded g729)
file instead.

Cheers
 Benny