Degradation of Speech Quality

Hi all,

I am evaluating the quality of the speech during a VoIP call between two
PJSUA applications running on two different windows XP hosts.

For this purpose I managed PJSUA  with a script so I was able to perform
automatically about 1500 calls.

During a call each peer entity plays a reference speech sample that is
recorded on the other side of the call. Then a speech quality evaluation is
performed using a PESQ tool.

The two machines hosting pjsua application are directly connected trough a
Ethernet switch in order to minimize the network impairment.

The codec used during the call is G.711 and the expected PESQ score for such
codec is 4.40.

The results of my tests highlight the speech quality is instable. That is,
often the PESQ score is the expected one but sometimes (about 10% of total
measures) the score is significatively less (3.50).

Did anyone perform such type of tests or have experience of such type of
speech quality problems?

Best Regards

Massimiliano Montevecchi