Problems building py-pjsua in VC8

I've been trying to get python to work for days.  There is some ambiguity
in the build instructions between various versions of python and the debug
and release versions, I think.  I often get demands for python25_d.lib if
I build with debug enabled, but I can't seem to find this on the
activestate site, or elsewhere.  (No doubt because of inexperience on my
part.)  Then, when I rebuild everything in release mode, the linker
accepts python25.lib OK, but the entire linke fails with about 150
unresolved externals, but no indication of what lib file is needed.

I have also tried fooling the linker by changing the name of python25_d,
but renaming it without the "_d" on the end.  This links ok, but then the
whole thing crashes at run time.

Also, activestate has various verions of the python interpreter ... since
I am using Vista x64, does that mean I should install the x64 version, or
should I stay with the standard version?

My hope is that someone can provide a more exact recipe for what works
i.e. exactly which python version to install, where to get the python_d
library, if that is required, etc.  Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

evh