CPU is up to 10% after pjsua_set_snd_dev()

Hi Alexei,

On 10 Nov 2008, at 12:26, Alexei Kuznetsov wrote:

> Hi Ruud,
>
>>> I mean, the application uses 10% of cpu without any media active.
>>> Also, pjsua without any params uses less than 1% cpu after start-up,
>>> but 10% after the first call. Is it something you could improve in
>>> the
>>> future? Or is it the design, or is it not up to pjproject but to
>>> other
>>> code pjrpoject uses? Is it on a Mac only?
>>>
>>> -- Best regards,
>>> Alexei
>>
>> I've noticed exactly the same behaviour on Mac, it's a very annoying
>> problem. Just having the sound device open seems to consume an
>> inordinate
>> amount of CPU cycles already. From what I've seen, it actually
>> seems to be a
>> PortAudio issue. I already went on their mailinglist to discuss the
>> issue,
>> but I didn't pursue the matter.
>>
>> Ruud Klaver
>> AG Projects
>
> I've solved this issure for me, but not shure if this is the most
> correct way. It's only about adding one line into pjsua_media.c and
> setting snd_auto_close_time=0. I've written about it here:
> http://lists.pjsip.org/pipermail/pjsip_lists.pjsip.org/2008-November/005341.html
>
> Alexei Kuznetsov

I'm not using PJSUA, so this is not a solution for me.

I don't think it is a solution even, this just seems to close the
sound device again if it's idle. The problem still persists, because
it will still consume those CPU cycles while in a call (on top of the
echo cancellation that is). I did some tests with PortAudio directly,
see http://techweb.rfa.org/pipermail/portaudio/2008-October/
008943.html for the relevant thread. The issue wasn't really solved.

Ruud Klaver
AG Projects