Manually specifying outbound proxy without adding a "Route" header

On 24 Jun 2008, at 14:54, Benny Prijono wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Klaus Darilion
> <klaus.mailinglists at pernau.at> wrote:
>> Ruud Klaver wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Looking at the PJSUA-LIB and PJSIP sources it seems that adding a
>>> Route header is the preferred way of manually specifying and
>>> outbound
>>> proxy. Since some SIP proxies may not like having a Route header set
>>> on a new transaction, I was wondering if there is any other way to
>>> specify this, e.g. on a REGISTER. Looking at the source, the only
>>> way
>>> I can think of doing this implementing my own resolver, but I really
>>> don't want to do that...
>>
>> IMO a config option which allows to omit the Route header of the
>> first
>> outbound proxy would be useful.
>>

> Yeah that will be useful, but we don't support that for now, and
> adding this would be quite major since it was not supported by the
> original design.
>
> Ruud, can you explain again exactly what kind of behavior that the
> proxy doesn't like about Route header?

To be honest I don't have any personal experience with this, but I
understand that proxies are generally wary of the Route header, since
apparently they can open possibilities for relaying attacks. A relay
that does not do a check to see that the SIP URI in the Route header
is pointing to itself may simply discard the packet.

In any case, I would prefer not to use the Route header and I was just
wondering if there was another way. If there isn't then please don't
worry about it. :)

Ruud Klaver
AG Projects