Enquiry :measure Session Setup time for SIP

Hi All,
         I am a  student, I have one task to do.... I want to measure the Session Setup time for SIP : which is the time between the INVITE and  the ACK messages b/n two parties of a call. So I need to do some measurements for that , I need to implement a tool that shows these SIP messages with their timestamp, in order to do that.

Actually all these stuffs are new for me,
I would be grateful , If anyone can help me with that, what to do, which API to modify, any useful data.....

Amar
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger2_072008