Thread and Pool allocation

I am trying to figure out how to get a pool allocated to work with a
threading application in pjproject-0.8.0 in Visual Studio 2008, and the
documentation on the pjsip.org seems to give two different versions of the
pool(which I assume I am reading incorrectly).  In the threading example
(http://www.pjsip.org/pjlib/docs/html/page_pjlib_thread_test.htm)
pj_pool_create() references a pool variable *mem defined as an extern in the
test.h (http://www.pjsip.org/pjlib/docs/html/test_8h-source.htm) file.  I
cannot find the actual declaration of mem.  To that end, I started digging
through the pool documentation, and in the pool example
(http://www.pjsip.org/pjlib/docs/html/page_pjlib_pool_test.htm), a caching
pool is used, however when I try and use a caching pool with the threading
example, the compiler complains that I need a pj_pool_factory, not a
pj_caching_pool.

Is there more documentation regarding pool use in a threading application
somewhere?  Or even some example code.

Any help would be appreciated

-Gil Richard