Port questions

Matti Zemack schrieb:
> Hi all,
>

> I have a few question regarding how Pjsip and Pjsua goes about deciding
> what port to send it's packets to.
>
> Using Wireshark I've noticed the following in setting up a connection
> between Pjsua (with --rtp-port set to 5004) and some other SIP
> implementation;
>
> 1. The call is set up without any SIP server, and both parties describe
> that they will be sending to port 5004 (in the SDP).

The SDP describes where the clients will receive RTP (not where they
will send to)

> 2. Pjsua is sending it's packets to the receivers port 5004 as described
> in in the SDP setup & the other SIP implementation sends it's packets to
> port 5004 of the Pjsua. Here it should be noted that the other SIP
> implementation's source port is xxxx.

This is called a-symmetrical RTP (different port for sending and
receiving) in contrast to symmetrical RTP where the client uses the same
port for sending and receiving.

Note: A client behind NAT only works if it has symmetrical RTP and
symmetrical SIP signaling.

> 3. The other SIP implementation sends a few ICMP saying that port 5004
> is unreachable.

Then the other client is wrong. If the client announces port 5004 it
should receive packets on pot 5004 (maybe there is a NAT/PAT which
changes ports?)

> 4. Pjsua suddenly without any previous SDP message changes it's
> destination port to xxxx.
>
> During the whole session the audio going from the other SIP
> implementation to Pjsua is fine. The other SIP implementation never
> receives audio as it is awaiting audio on port 5004, but all output from
> the Pjsua is going to xxxx.

But pjsua tried to send to port 5004 before and the client responded
with ICMP errors, thus sending to 5004 wont work too.

> So my questions are;
> A. Does Pjsua switch its destination port to xxxx because of the ICMP's
> or is this switch done because Pjsua always wants to send it's packets
> to the source of the received packets, which would be needed going
> through NAT's?

benny?

regards
klaus