From: Nanang Izzuddin
To: pjsip list
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:23 AM
Subject: Re: bug in write_port()?? - conference.c

Hi Anshuman,

I tried revision 1805 on my PC at clock rate 16kHz codec PCMU
(note: conference.c last modified was on rev 1715, so we should have same
conference code).
On silence, packets are sent every about 1 second.
When not silence, the intervals are 4ms, 27ms, 28ms, 4ms, 27ms, 28ms, ...
(repeated with small +/-)
however this should be acceptable and normalizable by common jitter buffer.

However I experienced a bit shock that it happened as you mentioned.
But then I realized that I put wrong wireshark setting on time display
format.
After I set time display format to 'since previous displayed packet' and put
display filter (one direction only),
the result is as I mentioned above.

nanang

On 20/02/2008, Anshuman S. Rawat <arawat at 3clogic.com> wrote:
Hi Benny,

>From our wireshark/ethereal reports we were seeing RTP packets being sent
out consistently at 10ms intervals instead of 20ms which is what ptime is
(with G729 & G711 codecs - did not try any other codec). As it turned out
that RTP packets were sent at 10ms intervals when silence was detected and
20ms when audio is detected.

The issue was traced to the write_port() in conference.c. Seems like
resampling is not done for silence/null frames and sent directly over the
wire resulting in a RTP packet every 10ms. Though this did not cause any
noticeable voice quality issue but it will definitely cause serious impact
on the receiver's JB. Note - clock rate for conf bridge is 16000.

This looks like a bug to us. We are at revision 1738 so not sure if this has
been fixed in a later revision. Or is it intended to do exactly as reported
above? If yes, why?

Thanks,
Anshuman