When to use pjsip_dlg_add_usage

Hello,
I'm writing an app based on simpleua.c code.
My app waits for an incoming call and creates an outgoing call. It needs to
propagate responses received in the outgoing leg to the incoming leg.
Since I need to intercept provisional responses, I've created an
on_rx_response function and set it in the pjsip_module as a callback.
If I do this with simpleua.c, it works, but in my own code, on_rx_response
will only be called back if I call pjsip_dlg_add_usage passing my module and
the outgoing dlg.
Is this the correct way to do it? And if so, why simpleua.c doesn't have to
do it?
regards,
mayama