From: pjsip-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pjsip-bounces at lists.pjsip.org]
On Behalf Of Patrick Greene
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:11 PM
To: pjsip at lists.pjsip.org
Subject: Questions about Audio Quality

Hey Guys - I really really hate using the lists unless I have absolutely
exhausted documentation and existing threads, but I'm in a situation where
we are getting audio quality issues and I can't seem to track it down. We
are using version .9 of the PJSIP library. We are using the pjsua_lib
library to create a soft phone for use within a Win32 .NET framework
application by compiling it in a managed C++ wrapper library. The
application is run on Win32/XP boxes.

The problems we are having seem to be very bad quality audio primarily on
outgoing calls and in the inbound RTP direction (user of soft phone hears
poor audio quality, other side of RTP is ok).  We have experienced this on a
couple of different PBX platforms including Trixbox and 3-com's SIP PBX both
exhibiting similar characteristics. We have tried different headsets and
just using the PC speakers all with similar results. The codec being used is
g711u, but this occurs on others as well. The audio sounds very scratchy,
choppy, jittery and almost metallic. We have set the audio quality in the
media config to 10 and no improvement.

I guess the question I have is what information can we gather to help
troubleshoot this process. I notice a ton of buffer size changes in the
debug log, but that may be normal activity. Thanks for any help, pointers,
etc. that someone can provide.

Sincerely,

Patrick Greene
Software Engineer