Sound problem (abnormal tone)

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 4:56 AM, Fan-Cheng Wu ?????\ <fcwu.cs95g at nctu.edu.tw>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying pjsip via pjsua(svn version,
> pjsip-apps/bin/pjsua-arm-unknown-none
> --config-file=../pjproject-svn/test.cfg  --ec-tail=0) on an ARM board,
> which configures with ./aconfigure --host=arm CFLAGS='-O2 -msoft-float
> -mcpu=arm926ej-s -march=armv5te' --disable-floating-point), and the
> sound is abnormal.
> 1.1 When pjsua talked with another user agent (express talk on
> windows), the tone is very low with a terrible delay.
> 1.2 When windows user agent talked with pjsua, the tone is very high
> without delay.

I never used express talk so I can't tell for sure who's right or what the
problem is. Please always use pjsua on Windows too. :)

> I had followed the troubleshooting checklists in
> http://trac.pjsip.org/repos/wiki/sound-problems, and summarized them
> as following,
> 2.1 The speaker works properly  except a static noise when
> looping-back microphone to speaker device
> 2.2 Playing a wav file is also fine.

I assume you use pjsua to play WAV file rather than using playfile. There is
a significant difference between the two, since playfile doesn't have
conference bridge.

> 2.3 The call qualty

[sniip]

> 2.4 CPU utilization is around 20% (by top)
> 2.5 I recorded the audio from pjsua to UA on windows
> http://speed.cis.nctu.edu.tw/~fcwu/pub/output1.wav<http://speed.cis.nctu.edu.tw/%7Efcwu/pub/output1.wav>.
> The result is as
> similar to I described at 1.1. ( I said "Hello" and "PJSIP" on this
> audio)
> The audio from UA on windows to pjsua
> http://speed.cis.nctu.edu.tw/~fcwu/pub/output.wav<http://speed.cis.nctu.edu.tw/%7Efcwu/pub/output.wav>.
> It is different as
> I described at 1.2. No high tone happened. (!!??)
>
> Could anyone tell me how to fix these sound problems or give me a
> direction.

Thanks for following the troubleshooting wiki, that certainly has helped
much.

Apart from the WAV, all metrics look okay, although the "dq" output doesn't
show the TX statistics (I pressume because the other end doesn't support
RTCP). That's why I recommend to use pjsua on the other side too.

My only suggestion now is to use pjsua on the Windows side, and also capture
the RTP packets with Wireshark and analyze the packet interval and also dump
the payload to WAV file to get third opinion on this. I would be interested
to see the .pcap file.

Cheers
 Benny