Performance problems with Speex on ARM9E

Hi, we are implementing a PJSIP application on a 200 MHz ARM9E processor
(Atmel 9263) and are experiencing some quality problems with Speex.

With simple codec's like PCM and GSM everything works great with good audio
quality, but with Speex we get a lot of stutter and noise.

We have turned of VAD, resampling, echo canceller and use ARM5TEJ
optimisations and Speex fixed point but still we get poor audio quality.

CPU load is around 50% so we don't expect this to be an issue.

Have anybody experienced similar problems and would an 200 MHz ARM9E be
sufficient?

BR/Olle