[pjsip] REGISTER in IMS and special Headers

Yeah, that's a sort of Pandora's box. This name fits IMS very well.

In my opinion, it's not the requirement which prevents IMS from leaving
the labs. Let's not forget that the whole IMS concept is still very
young, and not yet ready to be deployed as a carrier grade network
infrastructure. So far I can just think about iptel (Spanish operator)
who partially deployed IMS (this might be wrong, I'll check later on).

Beginning September I attended the NGMAST conference in Cardiff (Next
Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies). A lot of
IMS-related topics has been discussed. Part of what I'm about to tell
you is based on the discussion and keynotes made during this conference.

It seems that the telco operators are not going to implement the IMS as
a whole network architecture. They will rather pick up some parts of it
(like the SOA, or SIP A/S) where they can make money on it.

As of today, there's no mobile device which is IMS Compliant. And this
for a very simple reason : I don't know any device mobile who support
IPSec. And IPSec is a prerequisite to access an IMS Domain.

And that's where the snake bites his own tail.

The mobile phone company (Nokia, Siemens, Ericsson ect) are not focusing
on making native IMS-compliant phones, because there's no available
networks to connect to which such a phone.

The telco operators are not moving to IMS because there's no mobile
phone who might connect to their network.

I see the migration from the Circuit Switched network to IMS as hard as
moving the internet from IPv4 to IPv6. I think the people from the 3GPP
and the main companies involved in developing IMS should really think on
a smooth way to migrate from the current architecture to IMS. It has
already be partially done with the "Early-IMS" concept, allowing
standard SIP application to connect to an IMS network.

Now looking at the list of RFCs from my previous mail, they all do not
need to be implemented, except maybe 2 or 3 of them. (3455,3325).
SigComp would be very useful as well in the future, but right now, most
people says that sigcomp is not really needed. So it's not widely used
on the IMS testbeds. The privacy headers are only necessary on a device
where you can use IPSec. This leave us with the Private headers
(P-Header) and the Private extensions (Asserted and Preferred identities)

Well, that's it. It's mainly my opinion, but also based on discussion I
had with people involved in the IMS development in big companies.

Oh, and no, unfortunately right now I don't have the time to dig into
the pjsip core code and implement myself the IMS capabilities, even if I
would enjoy it :) But maybe at a later time, once my project is over.

Regards,

Olivier B.

Roland Klabunde a ?crit :