Re: PHP SOAP - Extreme newbie questions :/

On 2 April 2010 13:25, lmhelp2 <lea.massiot@ign.fr> wrote:

> Ok.

> COMMENTS
> I am sorry for removing the comments.
> It was for the sake of brevity.
> The fact that I mentioned it proves I am aware of
> the fact that it is a bad practice.
> => For people:
> - keep comments in your code,
> - in that specific case, if you lack comments please
> refer to:
> http://www.steelesoftconsulting.com/code/stockquote.zip
> (Notice that in my first post I didn't remove the
> comments; it was done on purpose! Really!)

> TESTS
> I am sorry for removing the tests.
> It was for the sake of brevity.
> It is not very fair to me because in the code I
> retrieved at first there were no tests
> and I added them when I was trying to find the
> problems and they are present in my first post.
> => People, do not forget putting tests in your code
> it will prevent you from "voodoo" problems.

> As for the:
> "[...] I think that my problems came from: [...]"
> At least I am trying to give an explanation to my
> problems (even if it is clumsy).
> I said *I think*. I didn't say it is the reason why.
> Moreover, it is really what makes the difference
> between my first code and the last one.
> I think I haven't done anything worth being mentioned
> meantime...

>>> see TESTING and request headers in client code
> I was very pleased with seeing that.
> It is interesting and if I have time to I'll try to
> understand. You can't always spend the time you want
> with things even if you wish to.

>>> require("nusoap.php")
> As I said I am an "extreme newbie":
> I didn't realize the meaning of it (require).
>

> I think all of your remarks are *very relevant*
> (put comments and tests in your code, etc.).
>
> Yet, I just wanted to experiment a little, explore
> a track.
> I am not like the ones who can say "SOAP" without
> having a least a *tinytinytiny* practice of it.
>
> I am sorry if I offended you, SOAP and PHP experts.
>
> So, as a conclusion, I guess what it is the best for
> people is downloading:
> http://www.steelesoftconsulting.com/code/stockquote.zip
>
> I only wanted to tell *you*, who helped me, that my stuff
> was finally working and was trying to tell you why...
> for it not to be a "voodoo" thing too much.
> Anyway, it couldn't work with no MySQL extension for PHP
> and you couldn't imagine I hadn't activated it.
> As for remark 2), I don't understand why you say
> "DEFINITELY NOT WHY".
>
> As for "Zend_Framework", I am sorry but I only wanted to
> make things work without a framework (and all the work
> it implies to master it). do not think I haven't tried:
> I first downloaded "soapui" and then "Zend_Framework".
> But I got disheartened when I realized how much time
> I would take me to master either of them.
>
> The day I'll really need a framework I'll install and use it.
> [...]

You don't need Nusoap OR Zend.

You can do all of it just by reading the PHP documentation.

BUT.... it is easier to use one.

Nusoap is fairly old and not as compliant with later releases of PHP
(which now has it's own SOAP extension). Hence the Nusoap53 (a
separate package).

With regard to the Zend Framework, you don't need to use all of it.
The code I provided (List: I sent a ZIP file of ready to go files -
client, server, tests, etc.) uses very few of the ZF classes
(Zend_Soap_Server for the Server,
Zend_Soap_AutoDiscover/Zend_Soap_Wsdl for  the WSDL generation), just
enough to get you going. Nothing to master.

I'm new to the ZF. I use it currently for Soap. I'm getting to grips
with the Zend_Config_Xml and extending it to perform how I want (auto
decide from several settings, depending upon
environment/servername/locale/etc.).

You can learn ZF very much 1 piece at a time.

I hope our comments have been useful.

Regards,

Richard.

--