Re: SOAP and attachment

Yes you can send binary data base64 encoded. However, technically it is base64 data transfer as far as SOAP message is concerned. Not an optimized attachment. When you encode base64 the size grows by a factor of about 1.33. Hence in the SOAP world that is called non-optimized. Anyway this factor would be negligible based on the file sizes you want to send and the amount of requests you serve.

The other thing is that, any client needs to decode to get the original binary. That could be simple, but in the optimized case, you do not have to do that.

Thanks,
Samisa...

Shanon Swafford wrote:
Looks like if you can transfer the data encoded, anything should be able to
decode it right?

We send Word, PDF, JPG, BMP, exe, .... document attachments all the time
using NuSOAP as the client/server although I haven't had time to upgrade it
to PHP5 native.  I'm waiting on a way to generate the WSDL as easy as NuSOAP
does:)
In my servers WSDL, I have:

..
<xsd:element name="file_name" type="xsd:string" new_order="file_name" /> <xsd:element name="file_size" type="xsd:string" new_order="file_size" /> <xsd:element name="file_type" type="xsd:string" new_order="file_type" /> <xsd:element name="file_contents" type="xsd:base64Binary"
new_order="file_contents" /> ..

Then in my NuSOAP client, I base64_encode any file that I can read as a
string.  In my case, files that are uploaded ($_FILES[]) to the SOAP client
via a web form.

Using:
$file_contents = base64_encode($uploaded_content);

Back on the server, I think NuSOAP decodes it for me because I'm not doing
anything special, just stuffing it in a MySQL blob.  To get it out of the
blob, I just SELECT and echo it out to state it simply.

I even have several Windows (.net) clients using that WSDL.

Regards,
Shanon
www.ntxinternet.com