WSDL Parsing Error Question

Good Day,

I have been giving myself a crash course in SOAP for a project I am
working on that will activate gift cards purchased from our company's
online store.  Once an admin marks an order as shipped and swipes the
card number(s) associated with an order, I want to package this
information as a SOAP request and send request to the company that
administers our gift cards for activation.

However, I keep getting the below SoapFault Exception when I try to
instaniate a new SoapClient object:

 SoapFault exception: [WSDL] SOAP-ERROR: Parsing Schema: unexpected in
schema...

Example code:

try {
  $client = new SoapClient('http://path/to/giftcard/company/b2b.wsdl',
array('login' => 'xxx', 'password' => 'xxx'));
  print_r($client->__getFunctions());
}catch (SoapFault $e) {
  print($e);
}

This code works with test web services from xmethods.net (different wsdl
file of course).

When I open the wsdl file in a web browser this is how the file looks:

<definitions name="PXB2B"
targetNamespace="https://www.giftcardco.com:1272/schema/@VERSION@/b2b.ws
dl" xsi:schemaLocation="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/";>
-
 <types>
-
 <xsd:schema targetNamespace="https://www.giftcardco.com:1272/schema
<https://www.giftcardco.com:1272/schema/@VERSION@/b2b.wsdl> /@VERSION@/
<https://www.pxsweb.com:1272/b2b/schema/@VERSION@/> ">
 @COMMON_SCHEMA@ @REQUEST_SCHEMA@ @REPLY_SCHEMA@
</xsd:schema>
</types>
......rest of file

Could I be getting this error because the vaiable placeholders are not
replaced with actual values or is this typical when viewing a WSDL file
in a browser?  I am experimenting on a dev box running Windows 2003
server PHP 5.1.2 on a non-SSL connection.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken Vandegrift
kvandegrift@sharis.com <mailto:kvandegrift@sharis.com>