Re: PHP Web services newbie creation

www.php.net/soap

On 6/8/06, Sahibzada Junaid Noor <junaid.noor@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi LIst,

I have  been asked by my boss to work on a new project.

The project involves providing web services just like Google. But in our
case we will be providing security related services. Most of the client will
be C++, Delphi, VB desktop products which will be mainly calling our web
services for updating the software etc.

All our systems are on PHP so my boss is very reluctant to introduce yet
another programming language in the company and is very happy with PHP.

The only thing that scares me from using PHP for web services is the fact
that i will have to write a lot of SOAP stuff that normally i would not have
to if i was using Java or .net.

also i am very unclear about what is Pear and nuSOAP and how does PHP uses
them. I know that i have to use SOAP because it provides interoperability
for other applications made in other programming languages. But SOAP
involves WSDL. and my knowledge tells me that unlike java and .net , if i am
going to write the web services in PHP, i will have to write the WSDL file
myself.

is there any way i can write web services in PHP which are then used by C++
desktop applications and i dont have to write WSDL files too!?

Can any one please summarize all the jargons and tell me which way to go.

I have programmed web services in .net but right now i cant use .net
because the web servers are LInux based.

Regards

--
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight

--
Anthony Ettinger
Signature: http://chovy.dyndns.org/hcard.html