Secure connections with a SOAP client

The SOAP client I am working on needs to connect to the SOAP server over a
secure connection.  I don't know if my client is doing so.  How do I check?
I instantiating the SOAP client with the following call:

$client = new SoapClient('https://path/to/WSDL', array('trace' => 1,
'exceptions' => 0));

I have assumed, up until this point, that by calling the address with
'https' that it is a secure connection, however, the SOAP server is spitting
back an error that could possible be caused by an attempt to connect to it
through a non-secure HTTP request.  The other possible reason for the error
is malformed xml, but wanted to check to make sure my understanding of the
SOAP client connection's security state is correct.

Gil