Re: Reasons to use PHP for Web Services

Erik said:
> His main argument against PHP is that every enterprise uses .net and java
> for web services anyway and that there does not seem to be a reason to use
> PHP at all.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> Why use PHP for Web Services?
> Are there any cases where PHP is the superior choice?
> Are there any cases where PHP is the only choice?

First, .NET and Java are not the be-all and end-all of web services.  I
have implemented web services using C++, and a lot of people are using
Perl to good effect.  I also work on a product that uses Delphi as both
server and consumer of web services, used by hundreds of autoglass shops
across North America.  Now, if you believe everything that you see printed
in the software press, which gets its advertising revenue from companies
with a vested interest in .NET and Java, you might be inclined to the
believe that there aren't any other games in town.  But I've got plenty of
evidence to the contrary, and it would be a good idea if graduating
students were exposed to at least some of those.

Clay Dowling
--
Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com