uncaught soap exception inside try catch

hi all

i'm having an issue with some soap code i'm trying to run
it keeps coming back with uncaught soap exception even though i have it running inside a try catch block

[php]
$sc = new SoapClient($strWsdlUrl);
        try {
            $strID = $sc->getId($strTempSessionID);
        }
        catch (SoapFault $strException) {
            print 'failed';
            exit;
        }

[/php]

when i run the script from the command line without the $strTempSessionID variable
it does catch the exception

but when i run the script from a web browser without the $strTempSessionID variable
it says uncaught exception

i have tried catching with Exception, I have tried both individually as well as together

sorry, exceptions never were my strong point
can anyone help me out?

thanks
dave