When SOAP is the answer?

Hi all,

I am starting a project inside the company I work, and it is currently in the planning stage. we are going to develop a database to store our client information, and we have offices around the world. we want to ditch the MS documentation we are currently using to something (much) better. This system will have limited client access, so that it can see their own information. I was thinking on going along with Mozilla as a client SOAP, but I am actually not very sure whether I should follow the XUL+SOAP+PHP path. Can you spare some advice so that I can find if this is the right answer to our needs?