Re: SOAP newbie looking for help

cristopher pierson ewing wrote:
Hello,

I'm building a website to provide online Continuing Medical Education
content to Physicians and Helath Care workers.

Much of the material for my online courses is being stored in a system
called the DigitalWell, created by the University of Washington.  They
have provided me with a list of SOAP commands for their front-end API, but
I am new to soap and need some help getting started.

I have installed the SOAP package (0.83RC3) from the PEAR site and
installed it using the pear cli installer.  I can't seem to find any
manual or documentation included in the downloaded files, though, and
there seems to be no documentation online at PEARs website.

I've also tried the FAQ for this list, but find that there are no
frequently asked questions yet.

Any suggestions of places to look for information on using PEAR::SOAP?

The usage of the soap package is actually so simple that it requires almost no documentation! Of course, you need enough to get you started...

The basic procedure is this:
$soapobj = new SOAP_Client('http://<URL OF SOAP SERVER>');
$soapoptions = array('trace' => true, 'timeout' => 5);
$result = $soapobj->call('<methodname>', $param = array('var1' => $value, 'var2' => $value), $options);
if (PEAR::isError($result)) {
 echo $result->getMessage();
 echo $result->getUserInfo();
 echo $soapobj->__get_wire();
}

The options are (by definition) optional.  Setting trace to
true seems to slow things down a bit, but gives much nicer
error information when things go wrong (when it's false,
->__get_wire() always returns an empty string)  The <methodname>
and the contents of the $param array will be defined by the stuff
you got from DigitalWell, as will the format of $result.  If the
DigitalWell docs are ambiguous, print_r($result) will probably
help a LOT!

I'm only typing all this out because I don't remember where I
found the documentation that I used to get started :( and I've
been unable to find it again!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies