Re: Re: **THIRD REQUEST** -- slightly updated

Sam Masiello wrote:

Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe it at this point :)  I can't
even get one of my functions to return a simple value so I know they
were properly called.  Yes, I am using PEAR::SOAP.

Well, there is something very, very wrong there. I've picked up halfway through this thread to answer your other questions, but if I get time, I'll go back and see if there is anything else I can spot that might help.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind, as some of the things you did
I saw in some other examples as well:

-- Why do myserver.php?wsdl ?  I saw this in some other examples, but
wasn't sure of its' purpose.

WSDL describes a SOAP service. Not in just vague namby-pamby terms like most of our technical descriptions. It is a standard that describes in sufficient detail that you can create the base classes and interface code for the client to interface with automatically. In other words, I don't need to write up a spec you have to read and then code up your client for - you can just pass the WSDL to a bunch of tools that will do half the work for you and just expose a set of function calls inside your client you can call. Job done.

Now, WSDL is tricky to get right - if you write your WSDL by hand and it doesn't match up with your service PERFECTLY, you're going to cause problems. So, what we do with PEAR::SOAP is use a function that automatically generates the WSDL based on your server code and therefore is always in synch with it and is always accurate. Trust me, avoid this at your peril - you want to write your code so it auto-generates WSDL, otherwise you and those writing the clients to talk to your server will be debugging for another 6 months...

-- What is Disco.php in the SOAP directory?  I saw it in there and
looked around to see what was going on, but still did not quite
understand what it was meant for.

Well, this will give you an understanding of what DISCO is about (yes, it's an MS link, but as DISCO is their baby, it won't bite):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/02/xml/

It is also, as somebody else pointed out, responsible for that lovely auto-generated WSDL.

--
Paul Robinson