How to send a binary over SOAP (PEAR::SOAP / WSDL Question)

Hi !

I ve read some stuff about Web Services now
and I am still wondering, which Datatype is needed to send a binary in a
SOAP Message.

I already know, that this is possible (Thank God ;), but I will have to
define a Datatype in a WSDL Document for that exchange.

To be more specific :

I have to build a Web-Service Connection between
(PHP-Application)-(Java-Application)-(PHP-Application). They are connecting
Learning Management Systems and I need to return a whole course in one
method. This course will be a zip file, which I want to embed in a SOAP
Message

(I know, this is waste of space and performance, but I need this for an
university exam and believe me : I've only some time left and I'd deal with
the devil to get a working system rather than spend my (few) sleeping-time
with handicrafting on performance..... nothing works till >6 days now
:-((              )

This ZIP-File should be sent from the PHP-Application to the other PHP-App,
so I'll also need to know, if there are possible problems in handling big
files (they could be some MB in size, almost without exception) by sending
or receiving them over WS or handling it in PHP itself.

If anyone has some (good) tutorials and (easy and working!) examples for
PEAR::SOAP, please let me know, I'd appreciate it. (Some informations and
stuff about the possibilities and problems of the connection of Java and PHP
over Web Services would be nice, too)

Thanx ! :)

Regards,

Arne