Re: Corn job anomaly

------------ Original Message ------------
> Date: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:54:38 -0500
> From: Karl DeSaulniers <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Sep 20, 2016, at 7:21 AM, Richard
> <inbound-lists-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Date: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 03:26:39 -0500
>>> From: Karl DeSaulniers <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>> OH, ok, I did read something about root earlier.
>>> I think it was something like:
>>>
>>> root /usr/bin/php5 /home/(directory name
>>> removed)/auto_reminder.php
>>>
>>> But not positive. I will have to research that more.
>>> Thank you.
>>>

>> Whether cron jobs run as root or a standard user depends on how
>> they are set up. If set up under a user -- which is the better
>> approach for general use -- they will run as that user. Really only
>> system-type cron jobs (that require root access) should be set up
>> to run as root.
>>
>> If you use the command:
>>
>>   crontab -e
>>
>> from a user account, then the crontab is set up as that user. The
>> first 5 fields/values are time/date related, followed by the
>> command to be invoked. See: man -s5 crontab  for more details.
>>
>> In that case, the user that mysql sees is the user that is running
>> the job. So, if your mysql authentication is set to accept
>> connections/give access to say the user your web server is running
>> as (which is how php will show by default), then you will either
>> need to pass those credentials in your cron job php script or,
>> give the user that's running the cron job access.
>>

> Again, thank you for the response Richard.
>
> Would you possibly have a link to how to set that up? I mean the
> actual commands. My trouble is I don't know what commands and how
> to write them. Like including a user, forcing the PHP.ini and
> executing the script. All in one line. That is what I am trying to
> accomplish and not sure how. Need to read up on the proper way to
> do this.

The php.ini that is used will be based on the php rules for the
path(s) (and order) it searches for that file.

The user that is running the script will be the user that the cron
job is set up under. If you set up a cron job as a standard user you
can't assign it to run as a different user. If the issue is mysql
access, you do that just the way you would in a [web]server parsed
php file.

The script is whatever you put on the crontab line.

The script you reference from the crontab entry can be a shell script
that does some setup, and then calls your php script.  Your php
script can have include files (e.g., for mysql connection setup) just
as you might have in a [web]server parsed php file.