Re: Corn job anomaly

On Sep 20, 2016, at 7:21 AM, Richard <inbound-lists-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Date: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 03:26:39 -0500
>> From: Karl DeSaulniers <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>> Full path to php application.
>>> Cron jobs run as 'root' and so need and user account settings added
>>> manually if they do not match the 'root' environment.
>>>

>> OH, ok, I did read something about root earlier.
>> I think it was something like:
>>
>> root /usr/bin/php5 /home/(directory name removed)/auto_reminder.php
>>
>> But not positive. I will have to research that more.
>> Thank you.
>>

> Whether cron jobs run as root or a standard user depends on how they
> are set up. If set up under a user -- which is the better approach
> for general use -- they will run as that user. Really only
> system-type cron jobs (that require root access) should be set up to
> run as root.
>
> If you use the command:
>
>   crontab -e
>
> from a user account, then the crontab is set up as that user. The
> first 5 fields/values are time/date related, followed by the command
> to be invoked. See: man -s5 crontab  for more details.
>
> In that case, the user that mysql sees is the user that is running
> the job. So, if your mysql authentication is set to accept
> connections/give access to say the user your web server is running as
> (which is how php will show by default), then you will either need to
> pass those credentials in your cron job php script or, give the user
> that's running the cron job access.

Again, thank you for the response Richard.

Would you possibly have a link to how to set that up? I mean the actual commands. My trouble is I don't know what commands and how to write them. Like including a user, forcing the PHP.ini and executing the script. All in one line. That is what I am trying to accomplish and not sure how. Need to read up on the proper way to do this.

TIA,

Best,
Karl