Re: MySQLi

On 14/09/14 04:57, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
> Awesome, thanks for the link. I know even less about PDO then I do regular MySQL however.
> I am hoping MySQLi isn't too far off a shoot. Just need to sit down with it all and figure out a path.

PDO is still a bit of a grey area. It was intended to make changes
between database engines more transparent, and MySQL to MySQLi is
essentially just a different front end both targeting MySQL. The problem
is that it only ever did half the job, trying to make the data returned
'transparent' while ignoring the SQL. Aziz's approach is one way of
going, but just like the e_strict problems with PHP itself, it's the
subtle changes to the language used which cause problems when
'translating' from one to the other. It will depend on the style of
MySQL you are using currently as to how easy it is to 'translate'. My
own database is Firebird which has SQL functions that have yet to appear
in MySQL, some of those are exposed in MySQLi so you can ignore them
when upgrading but it is always those fringe cases that take the most
time to resolve? :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL