Re: My Comments

On Feb 21, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:

Dear List -

Correction

William N. Lipscomb, Jr.

Ethan
============

Dear List -

I feel, and correct me if I am wrong, that a list as this or similar, should be devoted to help and not sarcasm. I try to be quiet and to not "toot my horn", but as events have progressed, I feel I must.

As you all know, I have a PhD. It is in Chemistry. The thesis is a mathematical approximation to the solution of the "three body system", using the Helium atom as a model. The thesis is 300 pages: 150 of Mathematics and 150 of FORTRAN.

Graduate students are known to ask stupid questions, and I had my share of them.

In the course of the research I needed help, both in quantum mechanics and mathematics. As I was close to Boston, MA, I sought out help from MIT and Harvard from:

Prof. William J Lipscomb, Nobel Prize in Chemistry, (1976)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lipscomb
He placed his research group at my disposal..

and

Prof. Richard Courant, director of what is now the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courant_Institute_of_Mathematical_Sciences > at New York University.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Courant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Courant_Institute_of_Mathematical_Sciences On a visit to MIT, he graciously gave me help with some mathematics I needed for my thesis.

Neither of them told me to read my books and stop bothering them with such trivia. They were helpful, gracious and gently pointed out my errors

My two cents.

Ethan

Ethan,
A few suggestions to you at this point.