Re: Programs not running

Ethan,

I'm not sure this conversation is appropriate for this mailing list. This question has probably been answered 1000 times on the general php list.

In my experience, the problem you are experiencing is caused by one of two issues:

1) A major parsing problem (sometimes no error is displayed-- you just get no output.) 2) An out-of-memory error (which can sometimes cause scripts to bail out even when error reporting is enabled)

I would recommend:
- Setting the error reporting level in php.ini rather than with error_reporting() while you debug this issue - Systematically comment out your entire script (in which case you should be able to run it and do something simple like display a string), then slowly add things in until you no longer receive output.

ex:
<?php

    error_reporting(-1);
    echo "this is my page!";
    this_will_still_die(;)
?>

becomes:

<?php
    echo "test";

/*
    error_reporting(-1);
    echo "this is my page!";
    this_will_still_die(;)
*/
?>

then:

<?php
    echo "test";

    error_reporting(-1);
/*
    echo "this is my page!";
    this_will_still_die(;)
*/
?>

Call me crazy, but I swear I've encountered problems where even comments weren't enough- I've had to actually remove the code from the file and paste it in bit by bit. PHP can be extremely annoying sometimes.

-Matt