Re: Re: Adding entry to /dev

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Jim Giner
<jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/10/2012 7:41 PM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
>>

>> Dear list -
>>
>> How do I add a new entry to /dev; eg, /dev/sdb?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ethan Rosenberg
>
> Ethan,
> Sometimes google is great at answering this kind of stuff.  Did you try a
> search on your question.  I did and found an answer in the fifth result
> returned.
>
> Search on "php add a new subfolder"

Except on *nix, where /dev contains device files, which are not just
run-of-the-mill files. This question has nothing to do with php (you
should NOT be making device files with php!).

/dev/sdb by it's name will typically refer to a block implementation
of a SCSI disk, or a device which ends up using the SCSI drivers, such
as USB drives. The various partitions on the device will then be
represented by /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2, etc