Re: convert special characters.

Not sure if this will work any better, but have you tried using
htmlspecialchars instead of htmlentities?
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.htmlspecialchars.php

You should also use mysql*i*_real_escape_string instead of the older (and
deprecated) mysql_real_escape_string. When you use the mysqli you'll need
to pass in a link to your database as the first parameter, with the string
to be escaped as the second. This will also require you to use mysqli
objects I'm pretty sure (which are better to be using in the first place).
See more about it here:
http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.real-escape-string.php

Better than nothing? Sorry!