Re: Re: Database Problems

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Jim Giner
<jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Ethan Rosenberg" <ethros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> At 03:30 PM 6/17/2012, Jim Giner wrote:
>>>"Ethan Rosenberg" <ethros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>>why the "where 1" clause?  Do you know what that is for?
>> =================
>> Dear Jim
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> As I understand, to enable me to concatenate phases to construct a query.
>>
>> The query does work in MySQL fro the terminal.
>>
>> Ethan
>>

> I don't think so.  All it does is return one record.  The where clause
> defines what you want returned.  A '1' returns one record, the first one.
> #10003
>
> I wonder why you think "where 1" enables concatenation??  A query (IN SIMPLE
> TERMS PEOPLE) is simply a SELECT ion of fields from a group of tables,with a
> WHERE clause to define the criteria to limit the rows, and an ORDER BY to
> sort the result set.  More complex queries can include GROUP BY when you are
> including summary operators such as SUM(fldname) or MAX(fldname), or a JOIN
> clause, or a host of other clauses that make sql so powerful.  In your case
> I think you copied a sample query that (they always seem to be displayed
> with a 'where 1' clause) and left the "1" on it.  To summarzie:
>
> SELECT a.fld1, a.fld2,b.fld1 from table1 as a, table2 as b WHERE a.key >100
> and a.key = b.key ORDER BY a.fld1
>
> I"m no expert, but hopefully this makes it a little less complex for you.

Right, Why would WHERE 1 return only 1 record? That makes no sense
and, no offense, it sounds like you really don't know where you're
talking about.

WHERE 1 is just a useless statement, but in his case makes it easier
to concatenate multiple "AND ..." statements.

As to the original problem, I guess that there might be something
wrong with your code later on that parses the result? Did you try to
use echo mysqli_num_rows($result1), just after the query to see how
many rows it returned?

- Matijn