Re: Re: Database Problems

At 04:21 PM 6/17/2012, Jim Giner wrote:

"Ethan Rosenberg" <ethros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:0M5S00MGD2BH7C60@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...
> At 03:30 PM 6/17/2012, Jim Giner wrote:
>>"Ethan Rosenberg" <ethros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > Dear List -
>> >

>> > The same query in a PHP program will only give me results for MedRec
>> > 10003
>> >

>>why the "where 1" clause?  Do you know what that is for?
> =================
> Dear Jim
>
> Thanks
>
> As I understand, to enable me to concatenate phases to construct a query.
>
> The query does work in MySQL fro the terminal.
>
> Ethan

I don't think so.  All it does is return one record.  The where clause
defines what you want returned.  A '1' returns one record, the first one.
#10003

I wonder why you think "where 1" enables concatenation??  A query (IN SIMPLE
TERMS PEOPLE) is simply a SELECT ion of fields from a group of tables,with a
WHERE clause to define the criteria to limit the rows, and an ORDER BY to
sort the result set.  More complex queries can include GROUP BY when you are
including summary operators such as SUM(fldname) or MAX(fldname), or a JOIN
clause, or a host of other clauses that make sql so powerful.  In your case
I think you copied a sample query that (they always seem to be displayed
with a 'where 1' clause) and left the "1" on it.  To summarzie:

SELECT a.fld1, a.fld2,b.fld1 from table1 as a, table2 as b WHERE a.key >100
and a.key = b.key ORDER BY a.fld1

I"m no expert, but hopefully this makes it a little less complex for you.

This is a suggestion I received from this list -
$query = "select * from Intake3 where ";

Maybe I missed it, but you need to have a 1 after the where part in your select. So...

$query = "SELECT * FROM Intake3 WHERE 1 ";

I must stress that the query works from the terminal, and fails in the PHP code.

My question is why?????

Ethan