Re: Working with large datasets

Jason Pruim
pruimj@xxxxxxxxx

On Oct 10, 2011, at 2:42 PM, Jim Giner wrote:

> I don't do command line stuff so I may not be right in my thinking.  If you
> are running a php query from a client, does the query get executed on the
> database server, or does all the data have to come down to you to be
> queried?

When you do it from the commandline it gets executed directly on the machine. When you do it from PHP (Or something else) It gets executed first on the server and then pipped down to you.

Basically commandline should be faster by a long shot since it's being executed directly.

But when you run from a web browser, you have to throw in the overhead for apache, or what ever web server you're using.