Re: SOUNDS_LIKE, SOUNDEX

After looking at the response I tried to make 2 mySQL queries that I need
help with.  (I didn't use the PHP functions because I am trying to query
the database for results:

#1:
SELECT `word` FROM `bible_concordance_words` WHERE SOUNDEX('command')
ORDER BY `word` ASC
- There are no results, I don't understand because Commanded, Commander,
Commanding, Commandment, Commandments are all in the datase

#2:
SELECT `word` FROM `bible_concordance_words` WHERE command SOUNDS_LIKE
`word` ORDER BY `word` ASC
- I receive the error:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to
your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'SOUNDS_LIKE
`word` ORDER BY `word` ASC

I think it wants me to specify an actual word, not the `word` column.

Is there a way to tweak either of the syntaxes I have started?

Ron