Re: general theory behind 'primary_key' & 'auto_increment' flags, and ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE ?

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Govinda<govinda.webdnatalk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Reading docs..  I want to be sure of things...  have your verification of my
> understanding(s)-
>
> Does setting a mysql db column (say "myPrimarykeyID") with the 'primary_key'
> & 'auto_increment' flags totally negate the logic for ever having to use ON
> DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE in an INSERT?
>
> Or is it that I can do an INSERT with SET
> myPrimarykeyID=someAlreadyExistingVal, a=1, b=2....  ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE
>  a=edited1, b=edited2 ...
>
> I am trying to learn/work out the mysql/php code that will allow me to
> either create *or* edit a record, in one fell swoop.
>
> Thanks for any insight!
> -Govinda
>
> --

If that is the goal use the REPLACE INTO sql syntax

You really don't want to allow duplicates in primary keys, that
completely negates the usefulness of that key

--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat