Re: oracle pooling

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Christopher Jones <
christopher.jones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
>> Themis Vassiliadis wrote:
>>
>>> You are right but sqlrelay doesn't work on Windows plataform and the only
>>> possible solution from oracle to connect PHP using pooling is DRCP, just on
>>> 11G, but as far as I know it hasn't been implemented integrated with PHP.
>>>

>> All you have to do is change your TNS entry, nothing else.
>>

>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/oracle-database-11g-top-features/11g-caching-pooling.html
>>
>> Read the "Database Resident Connection Pooling" section.
>>

> Oracle 11g DRCP support is available in PHP.  See this whitepaper:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/php/pdf/php-scalability-ha-twp.pdf
> Change the connection string slightly, and set one new php.ini parameter to
> use it.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Email: christopher.jones@xxxxxxxxxx  Tel: +1 650 506 8630
> Twitter:  http://twitter.com/ghrd    Free PHP Book:
> http://tinyurl.com/f8jad

I think that DRCP is a work around solution. Of course is much better than
traditional connections as we had before 11G.

But I think that is really possible to develop a new extension working like
Java component Apache DBCP. This is a traditional pooling mechanism, where
is defined in a xml file the pooling description and it is ensured that just
applications behind Tomcat will use the pool.

So if imbedded in an extension, the pool will start just when apache starts,
and will down when apache stops. And the whole pooling definition will be at
the client side.

Pooling is a solution created for web applications, the DRCP, if I'm not
wrong, should be used from web and client applications like SQL Plus. They
just need to select the TNSNAME key and use the pool.

--
Themis Vassiliadis