Re: how is this line a security risk?

read up on register_globals.  It is a security risk because if i do
http://domain.com/file.php?plugins_directory=/directory/

it can reset your variable.

the best way to do that is to make PLUGINS_DIR a constant

define('PLUGINS_DIR', '/directory/');

Joseph Crawford

On Sep 23, 2008, at 12:58 PM, michael wrote:

I get an error stating that this line in my code is a security risk when I code it.

require_once($PLUGINS_DIRECTORY."forum/forum.php");

here is what the explanation is:

include() or analogous is used with variable argument this can be dangerous since variables are in many cases controlled by remote users.

the recommended  soloution is to write it this way

define('SCRIPT_PATH',"/htdocs");
include ('sSCRIPT_PATH."/Foo.inc");

my question is why is the other way safer? im kinda confused..