Re: How to retrieve the position of a row inside a table with garbage data in all cloumns?

Jack van Zanen wrote:
As a caution,
I would never, ever use a query that relies on the data to be returned from the table in a certain order. That is just wrong and goes against the principals of a rdbms.

I don't know that it goes against the principle, it's more that a database will never guarantee the order of results unless you tell it the order to use.

ie unless you specify an order by, the db will return the rows as soon as it finds them (which may appear random but it's not really, it's to do with where the row will be in the data/index file).

To the OP: why does it matter where the row appears in the list?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/