Re: Building WHERE SQL clauses

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Stephen Wellington <
wellingtonsteve@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You probably want something like this:
>
> SELECT * FROM chico as c, harpo as h WHERE c.operator = "Bill" OR
> c.operator =
> "Jessica" OR h.operator = "Bill" OR h.operator ="Jessica"
>
> However if those tables really are identical I would suggest having a
> good look at your
> database design to see if it can be normalised or something...
>
> Stephen Wellington
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Mike Sullivan <mjsulliv@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello all.  I'm using PHP to build a query for a database that consists
> of
> > multiple tables, all with identical attribues.  A typical syntax try
> looks
> > like this:  SELECT * FROM chico, harpo WHERE operator = "Bill" OR
> operator =
> > "Jessica"
> >
> > MySQL responds with this:  Couldn't execute query.Column 'operator' in
> where
> > clause is ambiguous
> >
> > I was hoping that since the tables are identical all I would need to do
> is
> > list the attribute values not have to append them to the table names.  Is
> > there any way to do this?  Perhaps with a setting in MySQL or a different
> > syntax (JOIN, UNION, ...)?  If not are there available some canned code
> > snippets that build these types of strings from values passed in the
> $_POST
> > array.  Thanks for any insights on this. --- Mike
> >

> > --
> >

> if the structures and fields are truly the same you can UNION the queries

select * from chico where operator in('Jessica','William')
union
select * from harpo where operator in('Jessica','William')

But as suggested, if they are truly similar, the db needs to be looked for
design

--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat