Building WHERE SQL clauses

Hello all.  I'm using PHP to build a query for a database that consists of
multiple tables, all with identical attribues.  A typical syntax try looks
like this:  SELECT * FROM chico, harpo WHERE operator = "Bill" OR operator =
"Jessica"

MySQL responds with this:  Couldn't execute query.Column 'operator' in where
clause is ambiguous

I was hoping that since the tables are identical all I would need to do is
list the attribute values not have to append them to the table names.  Is
there any way to do this?  Perhaps with a setting in MySQL or a different
syntax (JOIN, UNION, ...)?  If not are there available some canned code
snippets that build these types of strings from values passed in the $_POST
array.  Thanks for any insights on this. --- Mike