Re: PHP, MySQL and Lookups

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Tobias Franzén <lists.zxinn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Consider this, if you have not already:
>  What if two users happen to have the same password?
>
>  It is wrong to assume that no two users will never have the same
>  password. Doing an update like that, just based on the password column,
>  is an accident waiting to happen.
>
>  You should have a uniquely distinguished name or designation for each
>  user, and validate the user and password combination. Also, such a
>  designation should be unique, and keeping entries in a column unique can
>  be enforced with MySQL.

    It's also safe to presume, however, that - since the OP said,
"Basically, what I'm trying to do is give a load of users an
individual password...." - by "individual password" he means that the
password *will* be the unique key.

    Just a thought.  ;-P

    For all other intents and purposes, however, you're 100% correct.
Using a unique auto_increment key would be your best bet.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>