Encrypting user information and Data Retention Laws (US)

Hey all! I am working on a DB app atm, and I would like to encrypt all user
information, or hash it (I still haven't finalized the design). My goal is
to make it that should the DB be compromised customers cannot be identified.
This in itself is not very difficult. However, does anyone know how the new
US data rentention laws would apply to this? I don't want my users to be
identifiable by anyone, myself included but this seems to be contradictory
to the laws. Does anyone know how they would apply? Any help at all would be
greatly appreciated.