GD function library problems

I recently completed the development of a project that makes use of some of
the GD library of image functions.  I used XAMPP as the development platform
on my own PC and then uploaded to my hosting companies 'live' server.

It was then that I found some of the GD image functions were not available
on their system, even though these functions have been around a long time,
and the hosting company appeared to offer a recently updated library.

Further investigation suggests this is a not uncommon problem and may be due
to there being two versions of the GD library - a 'bundled' one and an
external one.

This raises two important points.  Firstly, does anyone on this list have
any up to date information on the background to this problem - in particular
any advice that can be passed on to hosting companies.

The second is a word of warning to anyone about to embark on a project that
makes use of these functions - first check the ones you want to use are
available from your hosting service.

I had particular problems with the imagerotate() function.  Fortunately
someone has posted a user defined workaround that has got me out of trouble.
However, I can see from other discussion boards that other functions are
involved as well.

Any ideas?

Alan Bannister