PHP Beginners Help

Hello, my name is Ben Stones. I am quite a beginner to PHP, and as a new
years resolution I am going to learn PHP (finally!)

Cut to the chase I have created a basic looping script that would display
anything submitted in a form, on seperate lines; here is the PHP code:

$con = mysql_connect("localhost","ben_test","------removed-----") or
die("con");
$db = mysql_select_db("ben_test") or die("db");
mysql_query("CREATE TABLE `comments` (messages varchar(255))");
$comments = $_POST['comment'];
$sql1 = mysql_query("INSERT INTO `comments` (`messages`) VALUES
($comments)");
$mysql_query_one = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `comments`");
while($rows=mysql_fetch_array($mysql_query_one)) {
echo $rows['messages'] . "[br /]";
}

Everything went swell for the first half, and after I truncated the test
messages (or everything in the column, if you like), I tried doing one more
test run and upon clicking 'Submit', nothing would display except the
messages I added via phpMyAdmin.

Hope someone could help me.

PS: The password has been edited out of the preceding code as well as the
HTML code purposely for the mailing list.