php maximum characters in text field

Is there a maximum number of character $_POST will/can return from a
text field.  I have an online form that was driving me nuts trying to
troubleshoot, as most orders were coming in fine, but this one would
not.  I narrowed down to the length of the "customer description" field
which has no limits on the form or in the database.  I was told there
was a limit to how much $_POST could return.  Can someone advise?

Thanks!

Trish