Embedded php in javascript

Hi, I am trying to create a pop up alert warning for deleting an entry in my
database. What I have is:

<form name=myform>
<input type=button value="Delete Venue" onClick="if(confirm('Are you sure
you want to delete ID # <? echo "$UID"; ?>? There is no undo.'))
{alert('Value deleted<? mysql_query("DELETE from table where ID = '$UID'");
?>')}
else
{alert('no changes')}">
</form>

The problem here is that the embedded php is run regardless of if the user
clicks no, for example if i put php in both the if and the else they will
both be executed. So does anyone have and idea how to make this work or
another workaround?